Exploding Toilet Cuts Up Village Employee
Ridgewood Sanitation Department employee Damien Hamlin received more than 30 stitches Monday morning after dropping a porcelain toilet that shattered.
A Village of Ridgewood employee is in the hospital recovering from a serious leg wound sustained Monday morning while on a refuse collection, officials confirmed.
Public Works official John Spano said Damien Hamlin, an employee of the village for more than 15 years in the sanitation department, was picking up a porcelain toilet on South Broad Street at about 11:30 when it slipped from his grip.
The impact caused "a small explosion," with materials slicing through his Hamlin's thigh, Spano said.
First attended by police, fire and EMS, Hamlin was transported to Valley Hospital where emergency room doctors stitched the inside and outside of his leg to close the wound. Over 30 stitches were needed.
"The muscle was cut but luckily there is no nerve damage," Spano said, adding it's unclear when he might be able to return to work.
"It all depends on how quickly he heals," Spano said.
Hamlin received commendations in 2008 for helping put out a residential fire with fellow Sanitation Department colleagues Frank DeGrohe and Wayne Mann.