Eating fresh, local ingredients is one of my favorite things to do. And with summer's end, I keep looking for ways to use up the tomatoes and jalepeños in my garden.
One of our favorite, simple go to recipes is my 2 for 1 Salsa and Guacamole. Whenever I bring them to parties, they are always a hit. My son especially likes the Guacamole and can eat all of it with a spoon in one sitting.
It really can't get more simple than this. And if you already have some fresh, not jarred, store bought salsa on hand, use that to make the guacamole instead of my salsa recipe.
Here's what you'll need.
2 Large Plum or small Tomatoes, seeded and diced small
1/2 of a small White or Red Onion, diced small
1 Jalepeño, seeded & minced (keep seeds for heat)
1 Garlic Clove, pressed or mashed into a paste
2-4 Tbs minced Organic Fresh Parsley or Cilantro
Juice of half an Organic Lime
Large Pinch of Sea Salt
2 Ripe Avocados
- Make the Salsa ~ Mix tomato through Sea Salt in a bowl. Taste for more herbs and salt. Add a little cumin if you like it. Set aside.
- Make the Guac ~ Have ready a medium bowl and a large serving fork.
- Halve the avocados with a large knife, by cutting along the pit long ways. Twist and remove one half. Using the sharp end of a large knife, whack the pit, twist and remove it. Use the knife to carefully cut into the avocado halves vertically and horizontally, making small cubes. Squeeze the flesh into the medium bowl.
- Using a regular tablespoon, not a measuring spoon, add 4 heaping spoonfuls of salsa to the avocado. Drain a little liquid off the spoonfuls, so you don't have a runny guacamole, unless that is what you are looking for.
- Add a large pinch of sea salt and 2-4 shakes of cumin from the spice bottle. Mash and mix with the serving fork until desired consistency. Taste for seasonings.
Serve these with your favorite Garden of Eatin' Chips or along side Jamie Oliver's Chicken Fajitas. A quick and easy recipe that got a thumbs up in my house, and made a great cold lunch the next day.
Thanks for reading. I hope you enjoy!