1) Surely you know by now the Independence Day parade and fireworks are today. The flag raising ceremony begins at Wilsey Square at 9:00 a.m. with Congressman Scott Garrett leading the ceremony. The parade starts at 10:00 a.m. from North Monroe and Godwin, snaking through North Broad to East Ridgewood and eventually ending at the Graydon Parking lot. There will then be music, food and drink, skydivers and all sorts of stuff. At 6:30 p.m. the gates open at Vet for the evening festivities, including fireworks (duh!). You can see our article of the day .
2) As a federal holiday, village offices are closed today. They'll reopen on Tuesday for those paying parking tickets, picking up forms or any other official village business. There will be no trash or recycling collection on Monday, either.
3) There is an upside to the federal holiday restrictions; or in this case, more accurately, a lack of restrictions. Parking is free today!
4) The daughter of Ridgewood lawyer David L. Rutherford has tied the knot, according to The New York Times. Catherine Rutherford wedded Chris Conneta (whose parents are also from Ridgewood) last week. Congrats to the happy couple!
5) There could be strange weather on July 4. According to the National Weather Service, there's a possibility of isolated thunderstorms after 2 p.m. and some fog earlier, before 9 a.m. Otherwise, it should be mostly sunny with a high of 91.