The Ridgewood Choral will perform its 83rd annual spring concert on Friday evening at 8 p.m. at the . The theme will be love songs, some centuries old, others more modern.
“There is a reason for the order of the music,” said first soprano and ticket chairwoman Gail Landzettel. “It tells a storyline.”
The storyline is one of women through history, told through two centuries of romantic music. The Ridgewood Choral, founded in 1928, is a women’s choir with a motto: “Women in Song & Service.”
The chorus often performs in benefit concerts--the grand piano at Benjamin Franklin Junior High School was partly paid for with proceeds from concerts that the group performed at. They also perform at nursing homes, and have been offering scholarships to high school seniors who wish to pursue music in college since 1967.
“It’s a great group of people,” said Landzettel.
The concert on Friday will cost $18 at the door and the chorus will perform such songs as, “Ave Maria,” “The Lady Is a Tramp,” and “Don’t Rain on My Parade,” under the direction of Marjorie Vandervoort.
Two pianists will accompany the singers: Susan LaFever and Linda Glasgal. There will also be a harp performance by Ruriko Terada of Paramus.
More events this weekend:
Friday, April 15
- Ridgewood High School varsity sports on Friday: Varsity baseball at Paramus, 4:15 p.m.; varsity softball at home against Paramus, 4:15 p.m.; coed varsity track at the Bergen Relay Championships, 4:15 p.m.
Saturday, April 16
- Ridgewood High School varsity sports on Saturday: Coed varsity track at the Bergen Relay Championships, 9 a.m.; girls varsity lacrosse at Mountain Lakes High School, 12 p.m.; boys varsity lacrosse at home against Mountain Lakes High School, 1 p.m.
Sunday, April 17
- Palm Sunday service at begins at 8 a.m. and 10:15 a.m. ’s Palm Sunday service will begin at 9:45 a.m., with brunch afterward. will hold its Palm Sunday service from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Beginners are welcome at the ’s weekly meditation with mindful walking and a Zen service, which begins at 9 a.m. and ends at 12 p.m., but the Heart Circle suggests calling first at 877-442-7936.
- The Ridgewood High School girls varsity softball team will compete at the Emerson Tournament against Indian Hills at 1:30 p.m.
- Lisa Scottoline, New York Times bestselling author, will sign her new book, “Save Me,” at at 4 p.m.