1) . She'll be presenting the documentary When I Rise, which chronicles her struggle to reach the top of the international opera stage. She'll also perform several songs at the end of the documentary, which will be played at The Woman's Club. The event begins at noon and costs $20 for members of the College Club, $30 for guests (which includes a buffet luncheon) and $10 for non-members (program only).
2) The Ridgewood Planning Board will again be discussing the Rt. 17 redevelopment as well as a new proposal to put up a 120-unit housing complex on South Broad Street. Stay tuned for a more detailed preview of that plan later today.
3) The Ridgewood girls soccer team will be playing Northern Highlands in a home game at 4:15 p.m.
4) The school board approved an emergency request to remove asbestos at Cottage Place. Cost figures are not yet in, Assistant Superintendent of Business Angelo DeSimone said.
5) Five Ridgewood High School students have been named National Merit Scholarship semifinalists and 31 others have received letters of commendation. More than 1.5 million students took thequalifying test and entered the National Merit Program. Only about 16,000 who qualified as semifinalists have an oppportunity to continue next season.