A small section of roof was set ablaze late Monday afternoon after workers accidentally torched a squirrel nest, emergency responders said.
Ridgewood Public Schools Assistant Superintendent of Business Angelo DeSimone said the worker was replacing the building's roof, using a blowtorch when smoke was noticed. A teacher promptly called 911.
The building was largely unoccupied, Chief Jim Van Goor told Patch on scene. Parents, staff and toddlers at the school could be seen at the playground in front of the school. "Fortunately, no one was injured," Van Goor said.
The nest, which he termed "very big," was quickly extinguished by responders. There is minimal damage to the roof and no notice of damage to the classrooms or building interior. The fire occurred toward the rear of the building, away from classrooms.
As of 6:00 p.m., the school was being ventilated and "will absolutely" be ready to open Tuesday, DeSimone said.