The wife of a man killed after a pedestrian strike in Ridgewood last year plans to file a civil suit seeking damages from the village, according to a published report.
Una Sarno last June filed a tort claim alleging “dangerously dark” conditions caused by a broken streetlight played a role in her husband's death, The Record reported Monday.
Ronald Sarno, 71, was crossing N. Walnut Street the night of March 5 when a vehicle struck him near the intersection of Franklin Avenue, a block away from his home.
Police, who at the time said Sarno was not in a crosswalk when struck, did not cite the driver. Sarno died from head injuries suffered in the accident days after being taken to Hackensack University Medical Center.
Una Sarno previously had an attorney appear on her behalf before the village council during a discussion of possible traffic safety measures near the intersection.
Robert Welch, who is not the attorney to file the legal notice with the village, in November urged the council to install speed bumps or a traffic light at the intersection, after a survey of the block indicated residents were against the painting of a double yellow line down the street, a measure intended to curb speeding.
“They seem to be in favor of some type of traffic control that would help control that intersection and make it safer,” he told the council during its Nov. 6 meeting. He also requested a sign in memory of Ronald Sarno be placed at the intersection.
According to the report, the suit will seek $6.5 million in damages from the village, PSE&G and the driver involved in the accident.