With the first quarter of 2012 in the books, I am so sure you are wondering what music you should be listening to. It is so hard to keep up with new music and so I am here to help. I know I know, you so want to listen keep listening to that new Bruce Springsteen record but alas, they don’t make records any more and the kids, well, it’s not their thing anyway. So with the changing season and new buds flowering on the trees, I thought I suggest some music that is in full bloom for you to enjoy.
- “Reunion” by M83 – Released last October, many songs are on this album are still actively played on Alt-Nation. A very M83 song, it goes nowhere and takes you everywhere carried by the booming yodeling vocals. A few fist pumps into the review mirror while this is blasting with the windows down is just alright.
- “Everything Will Change” by Number Station – I found this on iTunes and while the comparison to Editors is easy, this straight up pop song with a foot tapping bass line and fun lyrics (“Pressure makes diamonds and I’ve been shining”) is an easy tune to like.
- “One Engine” by The Decemberists – No intro needed for this fantastic group and this song does not disappoint. Fans of Hazards of Love will enjoy this tune with an added “cool parent” bonus since it’s on soundtrack of The Hunger Games.
- “Gold on the Ceiling” by The Black Keys – Honestly any choice off of El Camino is a winner. In fact, get this entire album. It’s one of the best albums ever. I mean ever. No really. Ever.
- “Temporary” by White Rabbits – Part of an emerging genre of post-ELO, Beatles, U2 electronic, synth, rock groups that just make cool music and Temporary is one of those songs. Yeah, it’s temporary. Also check out “It’s Not Me” on Milk Famous and then listen to “Mr. Blue Sky” by you-know–who.
- “Called out in the Dark” by Snow Patrol – I love this “not-Adult-Alternative but Adult Alternative” group and “Called out in the Dark” is one of the reasons. Groovy, nerdy, quietly rebellious. Key line, “This drunken semaphore.”
- “The Rifle’s Spiral” by The Shins – It was much too easy for me not to like the latest album from the voice and sound of Generation X since I expected so much after James Mercer’s unbelievable collaboration on Broken Bells with Danger Mouse. I mean, it’s all down hill from there right? Thankfully, no. With an immediate crush on the first song released from Port of Morrow, “Simple Song”, “The Rifle’s Spiral” is what I waited for. Listen to those lyrics and, well, weep.
- “Strange Attractor” by Animal Kingdom – Don’t be discouraged by the soft opening of this song. Let the vocals pull you into a full forced, booming, and sweet chorus.
- “Little Talks” by Of Monsters and Men – The happy driving beat of this song is irresistible and plus the video is just too much fun to watch.
I hope you enjoy these suggestions. What are you listening to? I’d love to know!